Houghton’s pond is a pond in Milton, Massachusetts. The pond is roughly 24 acres and is managed by the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation. The Ponkapoag tribe once fished and hunted in this area. The pond was first called Hoosic Whisick translation for “shallow water”. The pond itself was then renamed Houghton, for Ralph Houghton who settled in this area around 1690. In 1892, a group from the Milton Club purchased the recently deserted Houghton farm at the base of Great Blue Hill. The Club has a clear cool pond then called Hoosic-Whisick, now Houghton's used for fishing, swimming and skating.
|< Prev||Next >|