The Tulpehocken Creek is a tributary of the Schuylkill River in southeastern Pennsylvania. The name comes from the Lenape Indians meaning "land of turtles." Tulpehocken Creek begins in western Lebanon County, Pennsylvania, and flows east joining the Schuylkill River in Reading, Pennsylvania. In the 1720s, the creek valley was a destination for early settlers, who used the creek for milling operations. In the 19th century, it provided an important early transportation route with the building in 1828 of the Union Canal along the river. The creeks water levels are monitored today through flood controls at the Blue Marsh Dam. This dam was completed in 1979 and has allowed for great conditions for the fish habits along the creek.
|< Prev||Next >|